Renee Baker, PhDEE, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor
A general practitioner for mental health issues. All things transgender, le***an, gay, bi, pan, ace, kink, poly...diversity!
Renee Baker, PhDEE, LPC
Licensed Professional Counselor
Operating as usual
BAM!! Great news!
Are you a night owl? Some potential jobs here for you if you are in need!
City of Dallas, Workforce Solutions, Small Business center team up for Nightwork job expo - Dallas Voice The city of Dallas is hosting a job fair on Monday, March 7, from 6-9 p.m. that will highlight businesses with open overnight positions. The job fair takes place at Gilley’s, 1135 Botham Jean Blvd., which is partnering with the Small Business Center and Workforce Solutions of Greater Dallas. The e...
The most important transgender survey needs your help if you are a trans/enby, a family member or friend. Please spread the word or pledge to take the survey! )
Pledge Now to Take the 2022 U.S. Trans Survey The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) and partners are excited to launch the 2022 U.S. Trans Survey Pledge (USTS) at ustranssurvey.org. Through the USTS Pledge, members of the trans community can now sign up to receive information about the survey, learn how to participate and pl...
Regarding the trans youth crisis, here is some information from Lambda Legal...sorry I don't have a link for the original, this is from their pdf file they emailed me.
"Gender-Affirming Care in Texas: What Parents and Guardians Need to Know Background
• On August 23, Rep. Matt Krause requested an opinion from Attorney General Ken Paxton’s office about whether certain types of gender-affirming care could constitute “child abuse” under Texas law.
• On February 21, a week before the Texas primary election, Paxton released a non-binding opinion to express his belief that certain treatments could constitute “abuse” under Texas law.
• Governor Abbott then sent a letter to the Department of Family Protective Services (DFPS), in which he asked the agency to conduct a review of any reported incidents of “abuse” and ordered all state agencies to follow the law in accordance with Paxton’s opinion.
• This opinion and letter are not legally binding.
○ An attorney general opinion and letter from the governor have no legal effect and can’t change Texas law or curtail anyone’s constitutional rights.
○ The attorney general and governor can share their opinions, but it is up to the courts to interpret Texas laws and the Constitution.
• Gender-affirming care is life-saving, medically necessary care. ○ Every major medical association has made clear that treatments like puberty blockers and hormone therapy are medically necessary for certain youth.
○ The AG opinion does not impede parents or guardians from continuing to provide young people with necessary medical care, and the opinion itself states that it “does not address or apply to medically necessary procedures.”
• No court here in Texas or anywhere in the country has ever found that medically necessary gender affirming care can be considered child abuse.
○ The law is clear that parents, guardians, and doctors can provide transgender youth with treatment in accordance with prevailing standards of care.
• Texas law protects families from false reports of child abuse.
○ DFPS cannot remove any young person from their parents or guardians without a court order.
1 This fact sheet is intended to serve as general information; it is not legal advice nor intended as legal advice.
○ Texas law requires courts and DFPS to consider the opinion of medical providers before removing any young person for abuse or neglect, and the legal standards for removal are very high.
• Federal law protects transgender students’ privacy in schools.
○ The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects young people’s private medical information, including whether students are transgender.
○ FERPA prohibits teachers, counselors, and school administrators from asking about students’ private medical information or sharing with others whether a student is transgender.
○ If your child’s privacy rights are violated, you have a right to file a FERPA complaint, and you can also report any discrimination, bullying, or harassment in schools to the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.
• It is unconstitutional for the government to deprive transgender young people of necessary medical care.
○ A federal court in Arkansas blocked a law that was the first in the country to try to ban gender-affirming medical care.
○ That case is on appeal and essential medical care is still being provided in Arkansas and in every state.
Can Mandatory Reporters Accuse You of Abuse?
• No one has a legal duty to report someone who is being treated with gender affirming care and/or who is transitioning from the sex they were assigned at birth.
• The Texas mandatory reporter statute was recently amended to require that the person or professional must have "reasonable cause" rather than having "cause" to believe a young person is abused or neglected.
• Recent changes to Texas law require that a person’s acts or omissions must now evidence “blatant disregard” for the consequences of their actions or inactions that results in harm or immediate danger to the young person’s physical health or safety to rise to “neglect” under law. The conduct must also put the youth in “immediate danger” to constitute neglect.
• Texas law forbids an emergency removal order based solely on the medical opinion of a doctor under contract with DFPS who has not examined the youth. In making a determination as to whether a young person is in immediate danger, the court must consider the opinion of a medical professional obtained by the parent/guardian.
• In other words, there are robust protections in place to protect you against unwarranted intrusions into your and your child’s rights.
If You or Someone You Know Is Impacted or Falsely Accused
● Try to stay calm and remember that you have rights, even though this opinion and letter are deeply concerning.
● Document what is happening and try to get as much information as possible.
● Remember that you and your family have a right to privacy and you do not have to disclose whether your child or teenager is transgender. Nor do you have to disclose any private medical information to anyone.
● You have a right to an attorney and do not have to speak to anyone from DFPS or law enforcement without an attorney.
If you or anyone you know is impacted by this opinion or any false accusations, please reach out to us. We are actively monitoring this and working to ensure that transgender youth continue to thrive here in Texas.
● Lambda Legal: https://www.lambdalegal.org/helpdesk
● ACLU of Texas: https://intake.aclutx.org/
If you have not heard yet, the state of Texas has made gender transitions illegal for those under 18 years of age. This is unconscionable. For those of you that are parents or wish to get involved, here is a link to tonight's webinar with Equality Texas. Please share this if you can and please stay strong during this very dark time.
Welcome! You are invited to join a webinar: Webinar for Parents in Texas. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the webinar. Welcome! You are invited to join a webinar: Webinar for Parents in Texas. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email about joining the webinar.
Tip of the Day: We all feel angry at times. So what do we do with it? Anger is something we should feel, but be careful not to pass on. Sometimes we are frustrated because something is happening that we wish didn't - such as getting a flat tire. Or sometimes we are frustrated because something didn't happen - like getting passed over for that promotion again. Anger can arise easily in frustration, or hurt too. Sometimes it is really a mask for covering up more difficult feelings, like shame. It helps to sit with the anger and figure out what the emotion was just previous to the anger. In that way, we might have real possibility to deal with the root cause. In this way, we say that anger is our teacher, but we have to want to feel it, to be the student.
Peace to everyone and I hope you are staying safe and warm!
Some great advice!
It’s possible • • • Credit: @inspirationation00 • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • #dedication #motivationwall #keepgoing #motivationalposts #motivationalthoughts #successaddict #humble #successmore #successlife #ambition #mindsetmatters #hardwork #wealthmindset #billionairemindset #mindsetiskey #hustle💯#motivation #grindszn #grinddontstop #mentality_facts
Good news, everyone! We have a new transgender surgery center in town. Check out Dr. Dany Hanna. He is offering both top/bottom surgery for FTM, MTF and Nonbinary! Yay, I met with him and his wife today and very excited to have them here in Dallas to serve the community! Yay!
Hanna Gender Center – Gender Affirming Procedures A premier gender affirming surgical practice whose sole mission is to provide the best care available to transgender and non-binary patients. The Hanna Gender Center combines the latest surgical techniques with a patient centric approach and expertise .
Years ago, I smoked a pack a day of cigarettes. For a good five or six years. It was hard to quit, but very worth it. I was wondering how long it takes for lungs to heal and found this article. I thought I would share. It's the new year. A good time to turn over a new leaf! Quitting smoking was hard, but one of the best things I could let go of. We all have our demons! It's good to rise above them!
What happens after you quit smoking? A timeline Quitting smoking can be very daunting, but some of the benefits come much faster than anticipated. In fact, health benefits begin to take effect just one hour after a person has smoked their last cigarette. This article gives a timeline showing the benefits after 1 hour of quitting smoking through t...
A friend shared this terrific analogy!
Love this! 🧡
A bit of silly...
Happy Holidays Everyone! :)
Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well and getting into the holiday spirit. A friend of mine shared this poem, which I love very much. I wanted to share! Stay empowered everyone. :)
A powerful poem about what it feels like to be transgender "I was the mystery of an anatomy, a question asked but not answered," says poet Lee Mokobe, a TED Fellow, in this gripping and poetic exploration of identity and transition. It's a thoughtful reflection on bodies, and the meanings poured into them.
Are you a Scrooge fan? I love A Christmas Carol and have watched 3 versions already this year (i.e. ,the 1934, 1938 and 1984 versions). We usually think of Scrooge as a grump and a cheapskate miser who is hardly generous. I like to think of him also as someone who is capable of change, one with potential and had a wonderful rebirth. If you know me well, you know I picked my name Renee because it means to be born again. I think this is a great season to shed the old ways and give ourselves permission to start anew. That's my propaganda for the year! Enjoy yourselves this season, be merry, be generous and start anew! As Tiny Tim would say, as well as Scrooge, "May God bless us, everyone!"
Would any of you like to be a reader at the Nov. 20th Trans Day of Remembrance? You would be honoring transgender individuals that have passed on this last year due to violence.
Pamela Curry is in real need of help for the event. It's not complicated, you only read a name.
Reconciling Ministries Network RMN is working on a new website coming in 2021 that will better serve our growing movement. Thanks for your patience! Reconciling Ministries Network equips and mobilizes United Methodists of all sexual orientations and gender identities to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms th...
Happy Halloween to everyone! I hope you enjoy your day and get outside to enjoy the sunshine. Put on a spooky good costume to scare those ghosts away!! :)
Good day, everyone!
I am a big fan of the Brain Science podcast with Dr. Ginger Campbell. It's easy to find. If you haven't gotten into podcasts, you are missing a treasure.
The next episode of Brain Science will cover the 5 things you need to know about your brain. Give it a try!
1. Your Brain creates everything you experience
2. Most of what your brain does is unconscious
3. Everyone’s memory is unreliable
4. You are wired to be social
5. You are NOT a “brain in a vat”
Still a good one! :)
Today is and we wanted to share some helpful tips!
An oldie, but a goodie...
"Your happiness is determined by how you allocate your attention. What you attend to drives your behavior and it determines your happiness. Attention is the glue that holds your life together… The scarcity of attentional resources means that you must consider how you can make and facilitate better decisions about what to pay attention to and in what ways." - Paul Dolan
Have a nice week everyone!
Are you a coffee drinker? I love coffee and usually drink two cups a day. Here is caution about drinking too much coffee...good to know.
High Coffee Consumption Linked to Smaller Brain Volume and Increased Dementia Risk - Neuroscience News People who drink six or more cups of coffee a day have a 53% increased risk of developing dementia and a higher risk of stroke, a new study reports.
Words to live by...
Just some jibber jabber and a hello. Blessings to all of you!
Good words to live by...as the hippies would say, "don't have any hangups, man."
"To define buddhism without a lot of words and phrases, we can simply say: Don’t cling or hold on to anything. Harmonize with actuality, with things as they are."
I hope you are all managing well in unsettling times. I am optimistic that we are on a path of healing. I have had my double dose of vaccine and my immediate family will all be there soon. I booked a salon appointment for the first time in a year, and had dinner out with a friend last week for the first time in as long. So I'm stepping out a bit more. Still being cautious, wearing masks, social distancing, but feel very positive that we are getting "there". Not everyone wants the vaccine and I honor that choice. For me, the benefit outweighs the risk, and vaccines have changed our lives. You hardly hear of measles and the mumps and polio and tetanus and on and on any more, thanks to vaccines. They have changed our lifespans dramatically and we are making them safer and safer.
I have lost two dear people to me during covid and that has been hard, two funerals this month in fact. I know many of you have also lost loved ones, friends or family. Or maybe you or a loved one had c19 your self. So you know.
Regardless of your choice, do be safe and sensible.
Love and blessings to all,
Life is so very fragile. Times are especially difficult. We can all struggle, become frustrated and find conflict is only a sentence away. Let us all lean into a deeper sense of peace, lean into this very moment, feel are feelings, let them dissipate like clouds in the sky. Breathe deeply in the love, allow our selves this moment, to be as it is, and breathe slowly out the fear.
Blessings to all and peace be with you,
This would be a big break-thru for transmen!
"We're ready to do it..." Curtis Cetrulo, MD
Hospital Debates Pen*s Transplant in Transgender Patient Landmark procedure could revolutionize sex-reassignment surgery
|Monday||8am - 8pm|
|Tuesday||8am - 8pm|
|Thursday||8am - 8pm|
|Friday||8am - 8pm|
|Saturday||8am - 8pm|
Individual, couples, and group counseling, serving adolescents and adults of all ages in Dallas and Collin County, and its surrounding areas.
An alcohol, drug abuse, and separate eating disorder intensive outpatient treatment program in Dallas, TX for adults since 1995.
the LISPY school - Lifeologie International for psychotherapeutic yoga offers training to therapists and yogis in the unique field of psychotherapeutic yoga
Four Stones Collaborative Group is a mental health practice that provides care of the highest quality to individuals and families in Dallas/Fort Worth.
Negative pressure, rather than tissue compression is superior bodywork for: pain relief, myo-fascial release, cellulite smoothing, lymph drainage, sinus pressure, repetitive strains, inflammation, toxicity, chronic fatigue, digestive problems and more.
We have just moved to a new location! Our address is 8215 Westchester Dr. Suite 243, Dallas, TX 75225.
From young children to elders, Corbella Counseling has you covered. With 7 well-trained therapists we are able to offer a variety of services: Play Therapy, Couples Counseling, Adults, Families, Career, Parenting, DBT and others.
Dallas Counseling offers individual, couple, child, and family counseling. The professional and licensed staff specializes in the treatment of depression, anxiety and s*xual issues.
I have almost 20 years of experience and the many different services I provide (concierge counseling packages, office and mobile counseling, speaking engagements, LPC supervision, and more).
We are out , to give outreach medication to those who can't afford and to help maintain their health.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Associate.