Turner Funeral Home has served Ellwood City and surrounding areas since 1957, over 60 years. We have always been family operated since the day the funeral home opened.
The Ellwood City Turner Funeral Home is housed in the mansion built by the Mellon family - part of the Pittsburgh Mellon financial empire. The home was begun in the new town of Ellwood City about 1896. It took 6 years to complete, and featured newfangled modern conveniences such as inside plumbing, natural gas-powered central vacuum system, and had dumbwaiters and servants' quarters. The beautiful columns have been studied by Victorian architectural companies all over the country. The rich oak wood cannot be duplicated today.
The Mellons passed the home on to C.A. Martin, who was a local banker. The building became a funeral home in 1942 when the Patton family began in the funeral business as Patton Memorial Home. After World War II, Bill Patton was joined by a young Ellwood boy, Kenneth Turner, fresh from the Marine Corps where he had been highly decorated. After Bill's death in 1957, the funeral home became the Turner Funeral Home.
Ken Turner was joined by both of his sons, Kenny Turner and Jack Turner. The funeral home expanded over the years with both remodeling and expansions.
In 2019, Turner Funeral Home transitioned and passed into a partnership and eventually full ownership to Adam and Angela Hyde. Adam is a graduate of The Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science. Ken and Jack Turner are still here, to continue to serve families and assist Adam and his wife in this transition. Adam is originally from Birmingham, AL “The Pittsburgh of the South” and is married to Angela. They have two children: Hannah who attends Lincoln High School and Jackson who attends Perry Intermediate School. More than anything, Adam and his family are more than honored to be selected to carry on the Legacy and Tradition of Turner Funeral Home for many many years to come.